Any foreigner who wants to enter India must have a valid visa affixed on his or her passport. This can be obtained from the Indian Consulate in your country. Foreign nationals of Indian origin, their spouses and children can obtain visas from the Consulate. Foreign nationals of Indian origin, their spouses and children can obtain Entry Visas valid upto 10 years.


Tourist Visas can be obtained for six months, one year and 10 years. Visas of the appropriate type should be obtained by students, businessmen, journalists and others who want to visit India for professional purposes.


Validity of visas : All types of visas are valid for the indicated period from the date of issue (and not repeat not from the date of first entry into India).Post-dated visas are not issued.


Application form and picture requirements: All applicants for Entry and Tourist visas are required to fill out an application form and provide one recent passport size photograph. Applicants for Business, Research, Journalist and some other types of visas are required to submit two forms duly filled in and two pictures.


Visas to non-residents: Visas can also be issued to persons who normally do not live in the jurisdiction of this Consulate (this also includes people holding Tourist / Business visas) after obtaining clearance from the Indian Mission under whose jurisdiction the applicant normally resides. This however takes a few weeks. The applicant may, however, pay an additional charge for clearance by fax or telex.


Restricted area permits : Persons desiring to go to a restricted area should fill in special forms and apply well in advance as clearances are required before a permit can be issued to travel to these places. It takes at least 6 to 8 weeks to receive the Government of India’s clearances in such cases.


Requirements for student visas: Firm letters of admission from Universities, recognized Colleges or Educational Institutions in India are required for issuance of Regular Student Visas.


Applicants are also required to produce satisfactory evidence of financial support. In case of admission in a medical or a para-medical course, the applicant has also to produce a ‘No Objection Certificate’ from the Ministry of Health, Government of India, to obtain a Student Visa.


Applicants for Student Visas who want to pursue graduate or post-graduate studies in Engineering / Technology are required to produce a similar ‘No Objection Certificate’ from the Ministry of Human Resource Development (Department of Education). Provisional Student Visas for a period of 6 months can however be issued on production of a Provisional Admission Certificate issued by a University / recognized Educational Institution in India. It can be changed to a regular student visa in India itself subject to completion of the formalities listed above. However, no change of institute / purpose is allowed.


Immigration check is conducted for all passengers, Indians or foreigners, both at the time of arrival and departure. The passports are duly stamped at arrival as well as departure. Passengers should be careful to see that their passports are duly stamped before leaving the immigration counter.


All passengers, Foreigners as well as Indians, coming to India or departing from India are required to fill-up Arrival Card and Departure Cards at arrival and departure respectively. The following information is required to be provided by the passengers in these cards: -


1.          Name and Sex

2.         Date of Birth, Nationality

3.         Passport Details viz. Number, Date of Issue

4.         Address in India

5.         Occupation

6.         Flight Number, Date of Arrival / Date of Boarding & port of Final Destination

7.         Countries visited  during last six days for arriving Indians

8.         Purpose to Visit abroad


If inadvertantly, an immigration stamp is not affixed by the counter officer at the checkpost, the passenger may immediately contact the concerned FRRO/FRO/SSP and get the same affixed on his/her passport to avoid inconvienence at the time of next travel abroad.